Saturday, May 12, 2007

The joy of learning....

Learning....

It's everywhere. In academics, obviously. In every day life, absolutely.

Over the past 9 weeks, I've been learning about New Media in the IMC program online through WVU. Learning about how electronic media works and what is the best media for different programs/companies. I start a new term on Monday, so I'm excited to see what I'll learn in the new courses for the term. (I'm doubling up this summer...yeah I'm a crazy woman!)

Through my work with nonprofits, I'm learning about how communication (internal and external) can make or break a company or organization. Many nonprofits don't spend a lot of time or money on communication planning and then wonder why funding, support, and services aren't as successful as they had hoped. I do a lot of technical assistance and training for nonprofits in my work and I have seen over the past few years, the turn around in focusing on communications. Many groups, once they have a plan in place, have seen a huge return! So, not only have I learned this, I think that nonprofits are learning this as well.

In life, I'm learning many other things. What I like to do, how I'll spend my time....

I'm learning so much. I'm excited to see what I'll learn this week! Seems as though life is as adventurous for me lately!

The old adage is that it's important to "never stop learning". I guess I'm on the right track!

2 comments:

J. Keeling said...

Indeed, communication plays a central role in the success or failure of an organization. Unfortunately many institutions are extremely slow in adopting "new media" communication strategies. As professionals, our challenge is to learn such technologies and educate stakeholders on the benefits of using such.

Allison said...

Hi Jen. I am sorry to hear you are divorced, but I too have been there. I am now happily remarried to a wonderful Christian man. I used to read your blog allof the time and then I got a new computer. I just found this bookmark. As far as the sharing of personal information, I found that an anonymous blog really helped me get through my rough times. I do not share any information about myself, like my employer or my specific city that I live in. I find that people have read my blog and cannot try to figure me out. It's good for feedback in an nonymous way too. So I keep it private from all people who really know me. I used to have a blog you put in your sidebar under Gifts of Life. My new blog is littlefiddles.blogspot.com . Hope things are good for you these days. Allison