Friday, July 29, 2005

Laughter and Tears...

After the funeral today, I spent time relaxing. First, with a much needed nap and then with reading a few books that I picked up earlier this week from the library. I read another one of Dr. Angleou's books today, "Wouldn't Take Nothing for My Journey Now". (This book was recommended by my friend, Charlie Tee. Thank you Charlie...I really needed this.)

Little did I know how helpful this book would be for me today. The book is a book of short stories...maybe I should rephrase it. It was an insightful and inspiring book that gives such outstanding insight in multiple areas/topics. One section was titled "Death and the Legacy". "I find it impossible to let a friend or relative go into that country of no return. Disbelief becomes my close companion, and anger follows its wake." Believe me, I understand. However, later in the text, she states "Also, when I sense myself filling with rage at the absence of a beloved, I try as soon as possible to remember that my concerns and questions, my efforts and answers should be focused on what I did or can learn from my departed love. What legacy was left which can help me in the art of living a good life?"

That was the theme of the service today. It was the first funeral where I can say that I felt joy and saddness at the same time. Joy that a young boy will never hurt again...Joy that a young boy got a heart and was able to be a child and play and laugh...

However, the veil of sadness was never far from our hearts and minds. One moment, the family and friends of the young boy would be laughing and reminiscing, the next we would be sharing tears of sadness. Just as any other veil, it is something that you can see through...I know that the family of the young boy can see through their sorrow to rejoice in his memory and be thankful that we will see him again one day.

As I sat through the service, I thankfully had my supportive husband by my side. He held me close as the young boy's family and friends stood up to say good bye. With one arm around my shoulder and the other hand in mine. I held onto him tightly as tears ran down my face. The service began with a man singing "Lean on Me", which was the young boy's favorite song. That song always makes me tear up anyway, but on this day, it was even more emotional. This song, a song of friendship, brotherhood, and sharing sorrows and joys with others, was this young boy's song. He always shared his joy with others. I had only been blessed to meet him on a few occasions, but it was always joyous and fun. He always had a smile on his face. As many of the speakers said today, "He was a brave young man...a caring young man..."

So, I guess what I have learned from this experience is that we should love and show love every minute of every day. Acknowledge and recognize those who have inspired and loved us. Don't wait until tomorrow to be the person you want to be today.