Thursday, July 07, 2005

My latest reading...

Okay, So I haven't posted in a while. I am very sorry....I have been busy reading...

I finished Dr. Angelou's "...Caged Bird..." last week and then my evenings this week have been taken up by reading James Patterson's latest novel, Sam's Letters to Jennifer. I just picked up the book at the library earlier this week and have read on it for three nights. Each night, my husband had to force me to put the book down so that I could get some rest.

I just finished the wonderful novel. I still have tears in my eyes writing this. I just had to come and talk about it as soon as I finished it! I loved his other romance novel, Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas, and I loved this one too. Without ruining the story for you, Sam's Letters for Jennifer is about a writer from Chicago who spent her summers with her grandmother, Sam, when she was growing up. Jennifer, the writer, gets a call one morning that her grandmother is in a coma and she should come to visit her ASAP. She packs her bags and heads for the lake where Sam lives. Her grandmother had written her letters about her life and things that she wanted to tell her...before she could give them to her, she fell ill. When Jennifer arrived at Sam's house, after visiting her in the hospital, she begins to read the letters. Not only are the letters very interesting and heart warming, but the other events going on at the lake keeps the reader very engaged. Jennifer finds a love interest at the lake...not something that she had planned, since she just lost Danny, the love of her life, in a horrible accident several years before.

I won't go into any more details about the book....OTHER THAN it is a MUST READ.

So, after reading this novel, I found that it is even MORE important that I write down all my memories with my grandmother and have her tell her story.

It is so strange in the series of events....I wanted to write the stories, posted it on the blog, then read this book which inspired me to get moving, and so now I am going to my grandmother's house tomorrow evening and I PROMISE to have at least some of the stories posted by Monday. (The reason why I didn't get to document the stories and post them over the holiday is b/c there were so many guests at the get together that I didn't even get to visit with my grandmother that much, needless to say - one on one.)

This book reminded me that we may grow older and our loved ones pass away, but our memories and our love for them never die.

My next post this evening will be my letter to my grandmother. I hope to be able to share it with her this weekend. For now, I will post it so that you will understand my relationship with my grandmother.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I have that book sitting on a shelf with others from my summer reading list. I am glad to hear it is a good one.