Thursday, July 07, 2005

The letter to my grandmother...

Before you read this post, please read my earlier post from this evening, if you haven't already. It explains this post.

So, here is my letter from my grandmother. I hope I can get through this and I hope it isn't a bunch of rambling babble.

Mamaw,
There are so many things that I want to tell you. I don't even know where to begin. I guess by telling you THANK YOU, would be most appropriate. Thank you for caring for me and raising me. Most of all, thank you for tolerating me and loving me when I was a mouthy teenager and was quite unlovable by most people. Thank you for showing me how to be a strong woman, although I still struggle with it. Thank you for showing me what love is all about. Thank you for showing me how to trust people and how to find the good in people, even though it has burned me a few times.

I know that I didn't always appreciate or understand your protection of me, but now I understand. I am getting older and (trying to be wiser), but I still need guidance from time to time. I am so glad that you are there. I think about you all the time. I should call and visit more often. I enjoy our visits...eating, laughing, and talking. (Of course, you knew that eating was in there somewhere!)

Food has always been a part of my life and I think that it is because of you and Aunt Jordan. I connect food with fond memories of hot rolls, warm cookies, and tall glasses of milk to wash it down. The get togethers at the house or at the church always felt like home. Or if it was just you and me eating slices of ham on your fresh hot rolls at the dining room table, it was still home. That is why, I'm sure, that so many of my friends always enjoyed visiting the house and enjoying your food...because for many of them, it was the closest they had ever felt to home. For other friends, it was a second home, just as their house was my second home. You always opened your doors and kitchen to anyone. You always offered a slice of pie or cookies with a cup of hot coffee to all of your visitors. Your hospitality has rubbed off and I am proud to say that I got that characteristic from you. I love cooking for guests and I always wonder if my dishes would make you proud.

I could write this letter forever and still never be able to thank you enough. I would never be able to tell you all the fond memories you've given me. So, for the next few points, I will highlight some of the ones that I think about frequently. Then, in another letter, I will tell you more of my wonderful memories from you, Aunt Jordan, and the wonderful house that has always been filled with love.

  • Baking Christmas goodies and painting sugar cookies.
  • Sipping hot tea with honey and nibbling on homemade shortbread cookies.
  • The summers with chicken nuggets and 'tater tots' for lunch. But Tam and I always had to eat our green beans and applesauce...."You have to eat your veggies!"
  • Sneaking a drink of your cold coffee when I was a youngster, only to realize that it was more cream than coffee!
  • Being able to sit on your lap and cry my heart out, whenever I needed to...no matter how old I got!
  • The trips to Hardee's with you, Papaw, and Aunt Jordan on Saturdays. Then, I usally got to go on a shopping spree (man, I was spoiled!)
  • The great lengths that you, the family, and the church family went to so that I would have a wonderful wedding day! Preparing/hosting the rehearsal dinner, preparing breakfast for all of our overnight guests, and preparing and hosting the reception. Not to mention paying for all the food!!!! THANK YOU!
  • Opening your heart and home to my husband and loving him as your own. He loves you very much! His family does too!
  • The stories that you have told me and the lessons that you have taught me. I love spending time with you. I have learned so much from you and I know that I have a lot left to learn!

Like I said, I could go on forever...I have so many more memories that we can share. I hope that we continue to make and remember memories for many more years.

I love you and respect you more than you will ever know. I hope that this gives you some idea. I thank you and Aunt Jordan and the family for having faith in me and loving me unconditionally.

Love always,

Jen :)

No comments: