Sunday, July 30, 2006

Banana Clips and Lycra Leggings....

Okay.....I'm officially OLD!

I've always heard that the first sign of getting old is if you see a trend come around the second time. Well, it's official, I'm OLD!

This weekend, my husband and I went to the mall. As usual, we save time by separating and going to our favorite stores and then meeting up at a specific time and store.

I don't often go into Claire's (an accessory store targeting the 10-15 demographic), but a new line of jewelry by Mariah Carey caught my eye. As I was looking around, I saw some really pretty earrings, etc. But, while I was looking over the hair accessories, I saw banana clips.......OH MY GOODNESS! I thought my eyes were deceiving me, but according to the sales associate (who was obviously younger than me) stated that they were in style. I'm not sure that she knew that they were BACK in style as opposed to being "a new style". Then, as I was walking around the store to see what deals I could find... I saw black leggings in two lengths....capri and ankle....with lace. Okay, I wore these under skirts when I was in middle school.... (about 15 years ago)

I hadn't thought about it much, but then I realized that I had seen several teenage girls wearing these under super short shirts over the past few trips to the mall....and this visit was no exception.

I vow that I will not follow this trend. A few years back, a friend told me that "friends don't let friends wear ponchos"....well, I make this comment....."If you wore banana clips or leggings the first time around, don't wear them the second time around....They weren't attractive then and they are still unattractive now!"

I know that I'm not "old" yet, but I am getting older. I also know that I have far outgrown the attire of the "youth" of today. I still feel that I keep up with styles...but they are styles for my age. I never thought that I would say this....I swore I'd never be this way, but we always say NEVER SAY NEVER. Okay, so here it goes.....I can't believe some of the skirts that young girls are wearing. I'm just thankful that they are wearing the black leggings under the skirts now. I'm tired of seeing girls with skirts so short they can hardly walk b/c they are afraid of showing off more than a little leg. I even attended a wedding this Spring where a teenage girl wore a skirt that could barely be considered a skirt. Even wearing this skirt to a club or a party would be a stretch, but a WEDDING??!!!!!!! OMG!

Okay, so the lesson is what is old is new again and I am getting old and I have turned into my grandmother.....which I've realized...isn't such a bad thing. My grandmother is a respectable lady and has always looked gorgeous, and has always dressed in good taste.

**Here's another observation from this weekend. Okay, maybe in some magazines, it is "cool" to wear the collar of a polo shirt flipped up, but it just looks a little rediculous to me. I am not the MOST fashionable by any means, but I have never seen a flipped collar look good on ANYONE.

8 comments:

Heather said...

I never thought banana clips would come back in style.

Jen said...

Me either....but they have!

(never thought I'd say these words...but since it is in a joking manner....)

I guess Bush is right! It's the beginning of the end! OH NO!!!!

Sharon said...

I never thought any of those things would come back into style.

I feel afraid. I feel very afraid.

The ruffled shirts haven't come back yet, have they? I mean the ones that made us look like we were preparing for the French Revolution. The button up blouses with big flounces down either side.

Or was I the only one who wore those? ;)

Jen said...

Yeah I wore the peasant shirt or the "french ruffled shirt". Remember that episode of Seinfield...."THE PUFFY SHIRT"????
HAHAHA

Oh heaven help us....no stirrup pants....I wore those with slouch socks....and usually more than one pair. Oh and Reebok black high tops....oh man every girl in my middle school had those! There were a MUST!

Charlie Tee said...

But to me, you all are still Goddesses...but I do say, make your own trends.
lovingly,Charlie Tee

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

Okay, if they bring back parachute pants, I'm going to cry.

Jen said...

Yeah, I'll cry and vomit! :)

Anjie Kay said...

OMG I found you blog / post by accident and even though it is an old post thought I would leave a comment letting you know I linked to it on my BANANA CLIP POST! I love your post and laughed out loud at the comments! HIGH FIVE!