Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Change is inevitable....

Okay, so we've all "learned this lesson". CHANGE...

I just wonder if we really learn the lesson EVER.

I don't think so because if we really learned it, we wouldn't be tested on it quite often. Maybe I'm speaking for myself, but change has always been difficult for me. I'm growing up and it's getting easier, but sometimes I experience a little regression and get a little whiny.

Is it just me....or does change always come just when you start getting "comfortable" or confident in what you are doing????

Everything is going great in my life, but I am having to say goodbye to a wonderful mentor and friend and boss. Our Executive Director is taking a wonderful position in higher ed in North Carolina and he will be leaving in August. I honestly wish him the best and I am excited about the future of our organization. I can't help but be saddened that I won't have him around.

Then after I found out about our ED leaving, my program director told us that she is taking a new position within the organization (which is a great thing). However, she will no longer be my boss. Thankfully, I will still get to see her and work with her. I have been blessed to have two great supervisors and I am struggling with this. My new direct supervisor (beginning next month) and I work well together. That doesn't help with missing working for my current boss. To beat it all, I'm "losing" both at the same time....August 15th. I am not the only one at the office dealing with this and we're going through this together. That has helped.

I swear...some days I feel like a mature professional....other days, I feel like a kid whining around about things. I know that this is selfish and I want things to stay the same and I know deep down that things will be okay. But, for right now, I have to deal with it the best way I can. I am in preparation of saying good bye to my bosses. I am sure that I will blubber like a baby. I guess I will say it in a letter b/c I don't want them to see me cry. My letters will go something like this....

To the ED -
I wish you the absolute best and I just hope that your new coworkers and employees are as grateful to have your leadership, expertise, and kind heart as we are. You have always believed in me, even when I didn't believe in myself. You have enabled me to reach new heights and achieve things that I didn't think were possible. May you continue to be a blessing to others as you have been to us. I truly hope that NC realizes what a great guy they are getting!

To my supervisor -
This new position is a great opportunity for you. It will be a way for you to use your amazing talents and expertise. It has been great working with you and I hope that we continue to work together. You have given me the confidence to attempt new tasks and overcome obstacles. You have been empowering, inspiring, and working for you has been gratifying. You are an amazing woman...a strong, intelligent, dedicated woman. Thank you for believing in me and giving a young girl who was "wet behind the ears" this opportunity. Thank you for believing in me!

2 comments:

Charlie Tee said...

Change, even when it's hard is a good thing, because it allows you to gauge your own growth in life.
It's a difficult thing for most, but it is the one thing that Allah tests you with to be certain that you follow his direct path for you.
As you deal with change,take notice of your own growth and try not to become stagnant...I know that you won't, you'll be an asset to whomever you work with.
Glad to see that you've returned to us.Take care, hope to see you soon.
lovingly,CT

Jen said...

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, Charlie. You are the best!

Jen :)