Sunday, July 30, 2006

Tom Cruise...before and after

WARNING! STUPID POST.....Just an observation that I thought was worth commenting on....

I came up with this post as I flipped through the TV channels today. Not one, but TWO wonderful Tom Cruise classics were on today. At the same time, on two different cable channels, Days of Thunder and Cocktail were on today. I started watching Days of Thunder, then flipped over to Cocktail and got wrapped up in it and didn't flip back to DOT until nearly the end. It made me a little sad.....no not the movies....but the wonderful actor and guy that Tom Cruise used to be. He went from famous to infamous, or so it seems. His relationship with Nicole going sour (one of the few Hollywood couples that I really thought had a chance), his shortlived relationship with Penelope Cruz, and his weird relationship/marriage/pregnancy with Katie Holmes. And I haven't even mentioned his inconsiderate comments about postpartum, his reaction to Katie's weight gain from the pregnancy, the wedding, the birth of the baby...and I'm not even going to talk about the religious beliefs. (I won't talk about it b/c I believe that everyone has a right to their beliefs. I think he's weird, but not b/c of his religion. I just think he's turned weird on us.)

Seeing the movies of his glory days really made me long for the Tom Cruise of the good ol' days. You know, the guy from Cocktail, Days of Thunder, Top Gun, and others....and we can't forget Jerry McGuire......one of my personal favorites. Gosh he is too cute in that movie.

I guess things change, people change. I can't expect every person to stay the same. I know I've grown and changed since the first time I saw Tom Cruise on the big screen. So, who am I to call him weird for changing, too?

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that we have forgotten about how people were many years ago. I had forgotten about the young Tom Cruise......just as we often forget about the wonderful woman and songstress Whitney Houston of years ago.

***NOTE I didn't realize this until today.....Brian's (Tom Cruise) bartender friend, Doug, marries a beautiful blond in the movie Cocktail. She is the same girl that plays the doctor who falls in love with Dalton (Patrick Swayze) in Road House. (Another personal favorite!!!)

2 comments:

Jen said...

Yeah those are ALL GREAT! It was great seeing you on Friday! :)

Alvin Charles said...

Almost everything in Hollywood is at least slightly ironic, and decidedly modern or post modern in sensibility. Outright racism or misogyny is now rare in Hollywood. Hollywood is basically far more socially conscious. Bollywood is almost entirely about money, much more so than Hollywood. Often mob money. One highly visible motif is the highly problematic rise of "item numbers."

tom cruise upcoming movies