Saturday, September 17, 2005

The kids are growing up...

I just spent the evening with my family and, as always, I had a great time. Now that I have a place of my own and my own family, I only get to see my family a few times a month. But lately, especially, I have been reminded of how much they mean to me. I don't know where I would be without my family....ALL of my family. I know that I have told you so much about my grandmothers, my aunt, and some other family members. I don't think that I have written much about my brothers. So, I'd like to introduce you to them. This is also a tribute to my family and what they have done for me. (You will read about my family over the next few posts....)

My brothers are all grown up. I guess it is difficult because it also makes me realize my age. But before I can explain the present, I'll need to take you back...... Back to the early 90's....

My dad met my stepmom a while after he and my mother got divorced. In many of these posts, I will refer to my stepmom as "mom" and my biological mom as "mom"...I know that is very confusing, but in this post, the mom that I mention is my stepmom.

Anyway... The first time that I met my stepmom and her three sons was one day when dad had visitation with me. Normally, on a day with dad, we went to the park, to family friends' houses, or to the movies. On this day, it was different. It was the day that I would meet my mom and my brothers. Although, I didn't know it at the time. After we got half way to my dad's girlfriend's house, he told me where we were going and that I would meet his girlfriend and her three sons. I was nervous and a little confused. As most kids are going through a divorce, I couldn't quite comprehend my dad having a girlfriend. Although, on top of the anxiety of "Will they like me??? Will I like them?", I was excited! I was going to have other kids to play with for the day! I was an only child and loved having other kids to play with. So, when I got there, I had a blast playing video games with the boys. The youngest was three years old, the middle one was six (I think), and the oldest was my age (12)...we were only five weeks apart.

Here's a story about my youngest brother....and it's also a story from the first day we met....

"BOO", the youngest, scraped his toe on the heating vent and was in desperate need for a band-aid. (I always told mom that we should have bought stock in Band-aids. I think that my mom kept Kroger's and Johnson & Johnson in business, at least during the 90's. I bet you found out why we called him "BOO" by now??) Mom was out of bandaids that day and I told "BOO" that I would take him over to his grandmother's across the street to get a bandaid. Through his tears and sniffling, he agreed. I was carrying him down the front steps when I missed the last step and fell. Not only did I fall, but I dropped Boo on the sidewalk...on his HEAD!!!! He dusted himself off and asked me if I was okay. Then, began laughing uncontrollably. I was sprawled out on the sidewalk with my ankle turned in an unnatural way. I was crying b/c I had sprained my ankle. Dad came running and was hysterical. Dad had not told my grandmother when he picked me up for visitation that he was taking me to his girlfriend's house and he was concerned that he would not know how to explain how I twisted my ankle. My grandmother is the biggest worry-wort that I have ever met. She would have died...or killed my dad, I'm not sure which. So, BOO forgot all about his toe and went back inside. Dad picked me up and carried me inside. Mom put ice on it and Dad hoped for the best. Within a little while, I was better and was up and about again. Thankfully, we didn't have to feel the wrath of my concerned grandmother. (HA HA)

So, that is the story of the first time that I met my family. One day, after many weekend visits and even after my grandmother met my dad's girlfriend and the boys, my mom and dad told me the great news. I still remember sitting in the car and mom and dad telling me that they are going to get married. I remember asking if I could be there. They told me that they were going to Virginia alone for the weekend. I was still SO excited. They got married two days before my birthday. Getting another mom and three brothers was the best birthday present I have ever received. There were times when I wish that I could have my dad all to myself, but that was when I was young and foolish. I cherish every minute that I get to spend with my mom, dad, and brothers. And now, I realize that my mom has made my dad a better man, husband, and father.

The kids are growing up. Boo is now 17, the middle one is 20, and the oldest is 25. I am the oldest by five weeks. My mom always enjoys explaining our age difference when people ask. She said that it was a really long labor.

She's not kidding. Raising me was definitely work. I was obnoxious and selfish. I was used to having everything my way...I was the only child and only grandchild for a long time. I had to learn the hard way that everything isn't all about me.

I know that there has been MANY times that my mom and dad just wanted to wash their hands of me and give up...but they didn't. They were there when no one else wanted to be. Even at my worst, they still loved me. They may have not liked the way I acted sometimes, but the loved me unconditionally. Two of the greatest memories I have is meeting my mom and brothers and my dad walking me down the eisle at my wedding.
To read more about my family, click here for my next post....

No comments: