Monday, September 05, 2005

CNN was prepared...the FEDs were NOT!

As I (along with the rest of the world) continue to watch coverage of Hurricane Katrina, I have come to a concerning realization. The media (CNN, ABC, MSNBC, etc.) were more prepared than our government in this terrible disaster. It saddens me that our tv crews can get in, but food and supplies can not. There was no plan for security in case of a disaster like this. We have really let the people down. I commend the media for covering the events and bringing us the stories of the victims. Maybe we should look to them, since they were the only ones prepared, to help us prepare in case of another natural disaster.

The lack of preparation and security plans has caused the area to become lawless and dangerous for the victims as well as the relief workers.

I am not blaming one person...I am not blaming our President or any other Federal Official. I just think that the government (as a whole) failed the communities who were affected by this tragedy.

Some friends of mine always say, "Don't complain without having a suggested solution." So, I don't know much about disaster preparedness, but I will say this....The government and the citizens need to do what they can to help with the relief efforts now and help (do their best) to prepare for the future. There should be security plans in place to protect the relief workers and citizens.

I know that is not much of a solution or plan, but it's all I have. I just feel awful that we let our fellow Americans down.

A final thought regarding this tragedy....."I pray for the families affected by this tragedy and I pray (and hope) that it never happens to a family again."

2 comments:

Charlie Tee said...

Here's a suggestion, that we all can use...VOTE!!!
When the powerws that be come to the realization that we the voters are the ones with the true power, they will get their act together.
You can be nice and not blame the gov't but the fact is poeple were put out needlessly.
Don't be cavalier about it, be very very angry.
Prayers do help, but action sets those prayers in motion.
I loved your story about going to your first MLB game, just go see a real team (the Yankees) next time...smile.
I love ya dearly,Charlie Tee :-)

Jen said...

I vote...I am a firm believer in that right!!!

I was upset, but I tried not to show it very much.

I did go see a real team...the CUBS. I know, I know....they might not have the money that the Yankees have, but they have the heart!!!! HA HA HA (They've got heart, they don't have much else. HE HEEEE I just wish they'd win a pennant so that my husband would be happy and so that he wouldn't have to keep saying, "Maybe next year.")