Friday, August 26, 2005

She's leaving...

My friend, Michael, left the office today...for the last time. I told her "See you Monday" because I couldn't handle dealing with her not being in the office everyday.

We are going to keep in touch and have already made plans to get together over Labor Day weekend. I know that we will continue to be friends...I know that we will keep in touch.

I can't help but be sad even though the new job is an awesome opportunity for her. I wish her the best and I know that she will be successful, but I am going to miss her terribly.

I am normally a very emotional person and I am surprised that I made it through the day without crying. Maybe it is b/c I know that I will see her soon or it might be b/c reality has not set in yet.

She and I always talk on the phone every night, so I'm sure that tonight will not be any different. So, that helps.

As James Taylor's "You've Got a Friend" plays on my radio, I begin to realize that when I come into work on Monday, her office will be empty. No pictures on the wall, no laughing coming from down the hall, I'm just afraid work won't be fun at all.

I really like my other coworkers, it is just that Michael and I have a wonderful relationship...we were like sisters...we still are. She was always so honest to me...told me what I needed to hear rather than what I wanted to hear. She was my cheerleader, my coach, my friend, and my sister. She will still be all those things, but I won't have her in the office next door to me. I'll call her everyday...I'll see her often...I'll remember her forever.

I've been blessed to have so many wonderful friends in my life, and Michael is one of them. So, today, I celebrate all the people who have made me who I am. Today is a day that I have truly cherished friendship, as I need to do everyday.

The amazing poet, Maya Angelou, says....
"The happy heart
runs with the river,
floats on the air,
lifts to the music,
soars with the eagle,
hopes with the prayer."
Another statement from Dr. Angelou continues to put my thoughts into words:
"Your life is much more important
than you can imagine.
A little tenderness between people
can make life more bearable,
and a lot of tenderness...
my goodness.
Life is a gift...
let us respond
with grace and courtesy."

Michael has given me a happy heart whenever she is around and I am thankful for her.

We kid about the name that her parents wanted to give her before she was born...."Sunshine Moonbeam". We have joked about that many times. Now, I understand why her parents considered it. She has always been a ray of sunshine and always brightens my day. (I know....mushy and stupid, right??? That's the cool thing about being among friends and acting stupid is that they still love you anyway. --- Michael and I are definitely friends....we've shared many dumb moments together.)

1 comment:

Charlie Tee said...

I can't get over how much we have in common.My boss Toni (St Albans Branch Mgr.) is leaving us for an awesome position in Charleston.
I am devestated...I have grown so accustomed to her leadership that it will be difficult without her.
Toni has been a major influence on my life and love her dearly.I've spent the last week since she told us that she is leaving, crying and being very depressed about it.Our whole office is upset.
It's so sad when someone that you really care about leaves, it can have an adverse affect on everyone.
Like you though, I know that I'll have to move on,and be strong.
One good thing is, that as the saying goes, love lives forever.
We were lucky to have her, and now Charleston is going to be lucky to get her.
Other than that,I hope all is well with you.Take care, and thanks so much for what you said on my recent post.I love you.
lovingly,Charlie Tee :-)