Tuesday, August 16, 2005

A poem of young love...

Here is a poem about my Nana and Granddad.... I thought it was so sweet.

REMINISCING
She was sixteen, he was twenty--
A giddy girl and a quiet young man,
A chance meeting at a carnival in town--
That's the way it all began.

Reflection of a silvery moon
Shimmering on waters below,
A timid kiss in the still of the night
And two young hearts aglow.

A summer of Sunday drives,
Double dates in a '33 Ford,
A movie, a hot dog and a coke--
Luxuries he could afford.

But off to the war he must go,
The year was nineteen-forty-two.
Letters back and forth across the sea--
There was lots of growing up to do.

The war was over, he was safely home.
Her high school graduation was past.
Two weeks of getting reacquainted
And their wedding day at last.
~Gloria Hall Wood

As I was reading and posting this poem, I wondered what it was like back then. If she could be here to tell me more about that time in her life. Also, when I began reading this poem, I thought, "Times were so different back then." After reading the poem, I realized that many things are not. We are still sending soldiers overseas and their loved ones are here at home and wondering if/when they are coming home.

I pray for the safety of our soldiers anywhere and everywhere. I am so thankful that they are fighting for us...just as my grandfather did.

No comments: