Sunday, August 14, 2005

Keeping in touch....

(I started this Friday night, but didn't get a chance to finish it until today)

Okay, so we say that all the time...."We'll keep in touch!" "I'll call you often." "We'll get together frequently."

There are more phrases that we say when we are saying goodbye to someone. Do we keep in touch, though? Usually we don't.

There have been cases that I have kept in touch, and then there have been times when I haven't. Not because I haven't wanted to, just that I didn't make the time. I used to say that I was too busy and didn't have the time. Now, I know that I need to MAKE the time.

I have recently set a goal for myself to visit with my friends more frequently and to at least call them once a week and chat for a few minutes and to see how they are doing. My goal is keep up with my family, too. I feel awful for not doing a better job on this before, but I am dedicated to improve it.

So, there have been several events that have lead to setting this resolution... Obviously, since it's not quite New Year's yet, there has to be a reason, right?

Okay, so there are several reasons. I have had a close friend move away recently. She is still about the same distance from me, just in another direction. She has been busy this summer and so have I. However, we said months ago that we would try very hard to visit as often as we could. We have kept that promise this summer and we have been able to see each other fairly frequently, which is AWESOME. I see how great it's been to see her frequently and I want to keep it up. This is the woman that I have watched grow up and she has watched me grow up. She and I have been BEST friends since we were SEVEN years old! This has inspired me to keep this up and to apply it to all of my friendships!

Also, with the passing of a friend's family member, it reminded me how precious life is. (read more)

Okay, so here's the third reason....I have a close friend who I spend SO much time with and she is changing jobs. I am so proud of her and SO happy for her! It's an outstanding opportunity and one that she should not pass up. I know that she will excel at it and I will be cheering her on!

That doesn't help the fact that I am going to miss her like crazy! She is so good to me. I will be lost without her. Not only will I have to find another lunch buddy, but I will lose my cheerleader. She has always encouraged me. She always gives me constructive criticism on my work (or life for that matter) when it is needed and ALWAYS tells me "WELL DONE" when I have performed well. When she was on vacation a few months back, she called me from her vacation spot and we chatted. It was great since I was very lonely in the office then. I am afraid what it will be like when I realize that she's gone...and not coming back. So, I'll call her on the phone frequently and we will have a SHOPPING SATURDAY together at least once a month.

So, this was what made me dot the "i" and cross the "t" on the resolution. I have to keep in touch. My friends mean too much to me to not to.

I am only what I am to my friends and family. They are all I have. As you probably know, I tend to look externally for praise and guidance. I also enjoy being around people that I care about and who also reciprocate those feelings. So, it is important to keep in touch with those who touch my life.

I just want to thank all of my friends who are so good to me and are always there. I have had so many great memories and I will cherish those friendships forever.

1 comment:

Charlie Tee said...

I enjoyed that post immensely, but the best way to keep in touch is to keep in touch...send your friends your postings from On The Porch Swing, it's a good way for you to continue the connection with them.You are a beautiful person with some insightful commentary about life, the things that you say in your blog are not as trivial as you tend to think, and more of your friends could keep up with you that way.