Tuesday, August 16, 2005

My other grandmother...

Okay, so I write frequently about my grandmother (maternal grandmother), but I haven't mentioned much about my paternal grandmother(yet). She was a published writer/poet and she always inspired me. Her work inspires me to continue to write and try to be as wonderful as she was. She was a writer from the heart. She was smart, even though she was very modest about her intelligence. I have a million questions for her...if only she was here with me again.

She was a wonderful wife, mother, grandmother, talented writer, and a woman with a strong spirit.

My memories with her was what inspired the name of my blog. "On the Porch Swing" - There were many wonderful moments spent on the large porch swing on my grandparents' porch. She would sing hymns and other songs to me. We would play games and just chat out on the RED porch. If I recall, the wood on the deck/porch needed treating and they painted it red. I don't really know why, but I remember thinking how pretty it was. I thought it was special. Not many people in our neighborhood had a red porch. All the kids played on the BIG RED PORCH.

In the summer, the grandkids and other members of the family would gather at Nana's and Granddad's for homegrown green beans and new potatoes, corn on the cob, and other special summer foods. Summer get togethers also included cold soda pop in the glass bottles. The pop was usually used to wash down the marshmallow pinwheel cookie that she gave us. We wouldn't tell that we had the cookie because none of us were supposed to have them. She let us have one so that she could sneak herself one. She was a diabetic and after she took her insulin shots, she would take the needles out of the syringe and rinse it out. Then, the cousins would use bowls of water and the clean (needleless) syringes as waterguns. As always, it escalated to the boys getting the water hose out and before we knew it, we were all drenched.

Then, at Thanksgiving and Christmas, we would gather at the small house full of love for a joyous holiday feast. There were so many cousins and I loved spending time there.

The fondest memory that I have, besides the porch chats, were the times that Nana would share her stories and poems with me. I spent a lot of time admiring her typewriter in her room. I loved her stories....

I remember going with her to meet with some of the writers in her writing club at a local restaurant. She ordered me a chocolate milkshake. I enjoyed it while enjoying "grown up" literary conversation. At the time, I thought I knew what they were talking about...okay, so I was pretending. I always pretended to be "grown up" when my parents/family members had company around.

My Nana wrote stories and poems about all of her grandchildren. (I will post those soon.)

I have three of her books. One is a collection of family stories and poems, one is a collection of stories and poems from the Writing Club, and there is another family-related book with pictures and history of the family members.

Over the next few posts, I will be writing more about my Nana and her wonderful stories and poems.
For now, I would like to show you two of her poems that she wrote in "My Family Album" that will give you a glimse into why she inspired me, even though I was so young when I knew her.
MY DESIRE
A Robert Frost or Browning
I'm sure I will never be.
The wit and charm of Irma Bombeck
was never meant for me.
I would like to be a writer,
Or a poet, with meaningful thought---
To write something that someone will enjoy,
Though it may not amount to a lot.
To write a story of interest
Or just a cute little rhyme;
To describe a scene of beauty
Or depict a day and a time.
Something with human interest
And a bit of history;
Maybe a little humor,
Or a touch of mystery.
Ability to put thoughts and feelings in writing
Is something I have hoped to acquire.
To paint a pretty picture with words
Has always been my desire.
~Gloria Hall Wood
JUST A THOUGHT
Sometimes we worry that we don't accomplish much
As we go along our way,
But sometimes the little kindesses we do
Or an encouraging word we might say
Might help some stumbling foot
As it trods from day to day.
To make someone's load a little lighter
Sometimes it isn't hard to do---
To make his day a little brighter
With a cheery word or two.
Just a cup of kindness given
Will be returned to you.
~Gloria Hall Wood
I truly hope that I make her proud. There are many things about my Nana that I want to share. I want to share what she did for me with you...in hopes that maybe she can still inspire others even when she is only with us in spirit.

No comments: