Wednesday, September 14, 2005

World Music Awards...

I received a phone call last night from a good friend instructing me to turn the tv to the World Music Awards. I had been watching the season premiere of HOUSE and then the news. I didn't realize that the WMA's were on, but I flipped off the news to the WMA's, as instructed. (After all, I tend to be an "award show" junkie.)

As I turned it to the channel, I realized why my friend had called me. Destiny's Child was being serenaded by Babyface and Usher. Men who only need to be refered to by first name. :)

Extreme talent was present as well as dashing good looks. :)

I was pleased with what I saw of the performance (which was only the last 45 seconds, unfortunately). However, I was a little surprised after the performance was over.

They honored Destiny's Child with a WMA as "Best Female Group of All Time". I LOVE Destiny's Child, don't get me wrong, but best female group of ALL TIME???? What about Diana Ross and the Supremes...What about the other wonderful girl groups of the past????? Influence from the outstanding girls groups of the past have surely inspired these women in their music as I am sure that DC will inspire groups of the future. I don't doubt that they are one of the best groups of all time, but to honor them as "Best Female Group of All Time" is a little much. Maybe they have had more album sales than groups from the past, I'm not sure. I was happy for them (especially since they are continuing their solo careers and the DC group is no longer). I just thought that maybe there might have been a few more candidates that they should have considered.

I am a firm believer that the music of today is because of yesterday's music.

I don't believe that we would have the talented John Mayer if other wonderful guitarists and musical poets like James Taylor and Eric Clapton had not gone before him. Britney and other "pop divas" would not be here without Madonna and other female pop artists paving the way.

So, I guess my final comment is that while I think that Destiny's Child deserves an award for being an AWESOME female group, I just don't know if they deserve being titled "the best of all time." Just as if Beyonce' was up for an outstanding female artist award, I would be pleased, but if they refered to her as "best of all time", I'm sure many people would be scratching their head wondering why Aretha, Diana, Patti and many others weren't considered.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Ugh, spam.

I agree with you about this.These awards should be given to the musicians that have withstood the test of time and have true passion for their music- not just who's the hottest at the moment. But "best of female group all time." Puleez.

Jen said...

What is up with this stupid spam crap???? YUCK!

Lucky Charmz - Thanks for posting...It's nice to know I'm not alone in this opinion. :)