Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Favorite Movies and WHY???

Okay, as I was completing my profile on this blog site, I realized that I couldn't even name of all of my favorite movies. Just as there are clothes for different occasions and weather, there are movies for every occasion and time of year. So, I thought I give a few of mine...with the special stories behind it and I would encourage you to do the same! :)

FAVORITE CHRISTMAS MOVIE OF ALL TIME: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. It is a tradition...It has to be watched a few times each holiday season. It is so funny and you learn some "valuable" lessons....Don't spray any product on the bottom of a sled....Don't make a purchase that you can't afford or haven't secured the funding for....and Don't buy a Christmas Tree that is bigger than your house!!!!

Dirty Dancing - My absolute fave of all time. This movie gave me hope... The good-girl/plain Jane CAN get the cute, talented guy and "live happily ever after". Keep in mind that this was when I was in my "pre-teen" stage. I remember my dad threatening that the only way that I could rent this movie (again) was if I watched it when he wasn't home b/c he had already seen it too many times. I stopped counting the times that I have seeen it when I reached 50 and that was over 10 years ago! Thankfully, I own the movie now, so I don't have to go rent it anymore!

Steel Magnolias - A girlie movie classic! A story of a close family in a small town...what else do you need? Add Julia Roberts and an all star supporting cast and you've got a hit! Also, with Shelby's "signature color" being the same as mine, what's not to like?

Rocky Horror Picture Show - WOW! A CULT CLASSIC! When my husband and I were dating, I begged him to tape this for me since it was going to be on TV and I wouldn't be home. I really wanted a copy of this movie. My cousin got me addicted to musicals and this was my first one, I think. However, my husband didn't care for it, he ended up watching it while he taped it (back in the days of VCR's) and he swore that he would never tape another movie for me again. The movies has a little sci-fi feel, but not too much b/c I am not a sci-fi fan. It is about a scientist from "Transylvania" who creates the "perfect man". Tim Curry plays Dr. Frank-N-Furter, the scientist, and Susan Serandon (spelling?) plays the timid Janet Weiss. I don't recall off the top of my head who plays the other characters. I know, I should know. There is music, dancing, and some "Frankenstein-ing" going on..oh yeah, and did I mention that Dr. Frank-N-Furter is a transvestite? Many people don't catch the message in the story, but there is one.....watch it and see.

Austin Powers - ANY OF THEM! - Okay, so I am a sucker for stupid humor. I don't like slapsticks like Leslie Neilson movies, but this is more my cup of tea. The SNL type of stuff. I have a few favorite lines.... "He's tight like a tiger" from Goldmember, "GET IN MY BELLEYYY!" from the Spy who Shagged Me, and of course, the ever famous..."Yeah, baby, Yeah!". OK so I'm an idiot....

Grease - Ok, the first installment was the best, but there was one summer where my best friend and I watched Grease II with Michelle Phifer at least once a day. We still know all the words to the first one and many of the parts to the second one. Grease is STILL the word!!!

Some recent ones I've enjoyed:
Meet the Parents II: Meet the Fockers - the whole cast is SOO funny!
Cheaper by the Dozen - A wonderful family flick
Ray - Do I need to say more?
Runaway Jury - suspensful and interesting!

A recommendation....I normally LOVE Julia Roberts, but I recently WASTED $$$ at Blockbuster to rent CLOSER with Natalie Portman, Julia Roberts, and Jude Law. UMMM OKAY, not my idea of how I would like to spend a Saturday. The movie was slow and the plot was a little dumb, and had a LOT of nudity, language, and it was just crap.... So unless you are prepared to watch a dumb movie with no plot and a lot of nudity, don't rent this movie. And if you consider renting it for reasons I don't need to know about, then go to the Adult Movie Store...you might find something with a better plot there. (HA HA)

I know I have forgotten some, but this is enough for now...

So, what are some of your favorites????

5 comments:

Sharon said...

I loved a lot of these movies; some (I have to admit shamefacedly) I haven't seen, like the Rocky Horror Picture Show. (I know. How have I lived this long and not seen it???)

"Nobody keeps Baby in a corner." My favorite quote from Dirty Dancing...

Jen said...

Rocky isn't for everyone, but I enjoyed it. It's definitely not one for the kids.

That is my favorite quote from the movie, too. My favorite scene is the end of the movie dance scene. As if there is anything better?

I just remembered that I left Road House off the list. "A Polar Bear fell on me." Now, that is a priceless quote. :)

kenju said...

I sure do agree about "Closer". I had heard so much about it I was sure it would be a great movie. Watching it was like getting slapped all afternoon.

Jen said...

Yeah, I was almost tempted to go to Blockbuster and ask for my money back!!!

Heather said...

I love Steel Magnolias, Dirty Dancing, Grease, and Meet the Fockers, too. A new one I found that I love is Finding Neverland.