Sunday, May 29, 2005

Music helps my mood....

Do you ever get in your car and your favorite song is on the radio or you pop in your favorite cd and it improves your mood instantly???

I was reminded of this yesterday when I was on my way to the DMV and decided to pop in The Diary of Alicia Keys. Man, that girl can sing...and write...play the piano...and she is beautiful! This girl's got it all!

I guess I am not the only one to make this comparison, but she reminds me a lot of Aretha Franklin. She's got that soul, you know??? It isn't often when you listen to a cd and you feel their emotions through their music. Alicia puts you in her world. In a current world of pop music, you don't hear that too often. Not that I have a problem with Britney, JLo, or any other pop artist, because I have their cds, too. There is a time and place for everything, including music. I love hip hop and pop when I want something upbeat. I have to admit though, I am guilty of listening to the beat and not the words. That bothers me sometimes since I enjoy listening to some rap b/c of the beat and then when I begin to pay attention to the words I am stunned!!! This happened to me earlier this week when I was listening to a 50 cent cd. There are several songs on the cd that I like...but when I listen to the lyrics, I couldn't believe I was actually listening to it. I have to admit, some of his songs are quite degrading to women. But sadly, I still love the beat of the songs, so I listen to it. Sad, huh? I'll sell my values for a good beat. Maybe I'll put the cd back in my husband's truck, where it belongs. Maybe a song is just a song and he doesn't mean all of those things, at least that is what many rappers claim. Who knows?

Well, once again, I've drifted off topic (for those of you who don't know me, I ALWAYS do that!). So, as I was saying....Alicia Keys is outstanding. Both of her cds (songs in A minor and The Diary of Alicia Keys) are wonderful. She has soul and has something to add...can't put my finger on it, but she definitely has the perfect blend of hip hop and soul. Throw in some outstanding vocals and amazing piano and you've got Alicia Keys....

James Taylor, Josh Groban, Carole King, and a few songs by Phil Collins and Billy Joel affect me like Alicia does. I grew up listening to James Taylor with my dad. I have his greatest hits (vol. 1) and I pop that in frequently. Not only does James' songs put you in his world, but they remind me of my dad. Anytime I hear James' music, I think of my dad. So, I guess there is a reason for liking him so much! :) Of course, when I hear Jackson Browne, I do the same thing. I envision my dad playing "piano" on the steering wheel of the car going down the road. He always did that...and then occasionally, the dash board turns into a drum set. Especially when we listen to Phil Collins. My favorite Billy Joel songs are "Piano Man" and "We Didn't Start the Fire". I mainly like "...fire" b/c I am still trying to learn all the words!!!

So, I guess you know my playlist now. I listen to rap, hip hop, soul/r&b, a little rock, and a little country (just don't tell anyone).

So what music brightens your spirits?????

2 comments:

kenju said...

Jazz brightens my spirit, and Alicia Keys playing the piano also does it. She is so beautiful I can't take my eyes off her - and I'm a woman!

Found you through a comment at Rick Lee's. I'm from Charleston.

Jen said...

Nice to meet you, Kenju and thanks for reading and posting on my blog. :) I don't get very many visitors.

Alicia is definitely inspiring and beautiful! When she performs on stage, she just looks like the strongest woman in the world...like nothing can tear her down. I admire that! I just wish I had her strength....