Sunday, May 29, 2005

Food, Food, and more FOOD!!!

I went to a cookout at my grant-aunt's house today. My grandmother, mom, aunt, great-aunt, my best friend and her husband, her parents, and some of my great-aunt's friends all got together for a feast. We had grilled burgers and hot dogs with all the fixings, including homemade chili and slaw (my grandmother's locally famous recipes HMMMHHMMM). We also had strawberry jello pretzel salad, fresh apple cake, baked beans, macaroni salad, potato salad, confetti bean salad, cantelope, peach cobbler, carrot cake, lemon merangue pie, and probably a thousand other things I am forgetting.

It was sooo good and I am still SOOO stuffed!!! Of course, my grandmother and aunt sent me and my husband home with a basket full of leftovers....that is predictable when visiting them. At least I won't have to cook lunch tomorrow. That's taken care of!!! (That is if it makes it through the night! HA HA)

There is nothing better than getting together with family and friends and chowing down on some good home-cookin'!!!

I love to entertain and cook. I love to have people over and cook for them. I guess it is a way that I have learned to show my love for other people. I learned that from my grandmother and aunt from an early age.... I learned to read by reading cook books when I was little ...at least that is the story that my grandmother proudly tells to family and friends. I baked my first cake when I was in 4th grade. I love to cook...maybe even more than I love to eat. I am obsessed with cookbooks and recipes. I spend much of my time watching Food TV.

All the women in my family are wonderful cooks and I just hope I am passing along the family tradition. My aunt even received 2nd place in a local cookoff a few weeks ago.

So, I guess I'll keep working in the kitchen, trying to continue the family tradition. Hopefully soon, I'll have the time to post some of my favorite recipes.

Hope you had a wonderful holiday weekend as well...I hope your bellies are full!!!

Jen :)

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I love to cook and collect recipes too! :)

Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Jen said...

yes. Good food and good company...I can't beat that, can I?

I hope we can share recipes soon! I love to swap recipes!

Talk to you soon!