Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A new experience...

I had the pleasure of being in a room of wonderful women today. Quite frequently, I am blessed by the presence of such wonderful women. Today was especially great! A coworker and I went to a Women's Club meeting today. We were welcomed with open arms. The room was filled with memories, years of experience, and extensive wisdom...We were so pleased to be a part of it, if it was just for a day. :)

The wonderful reception hall was decorated in white and gold and the air was full of country kitchen aromas. There was definitely a feast being prepared.

After all of the "thank you for coming" and "so nice to meet you" comments we heard, the gathering was about to begin. Before going through the line to partake of the wonderful food that had been prepared, one of the ladies came before the group to do an inspirational message. She read a poem from a writer whose name I've heard, but can't recall right now....the message was about how this person lived to provide for their community... that while he might not be everything to everyone, he will be someone to somebody... that he will be "used up when I die" and do all he can for his community. I had never heard it in so few words or so simply, but it really hit home with me. I work for a nonprofit, volunteer for nonprofits..it's the work that I live for.

After the wonderful message, the lady also gave blessings for the day and the food. Then, she lead us in the Pledge of Allegiance and one verse of "God Bless America". It had been a long time since I had said the Pledge. It took me back to my school days. Whether because of age or lack of understanding, the Pledge became "routine" and was sometimes taken for granted. Today (maybe because of the war...) I got teary-eyed when reciting the Pledge. I glanced around the room while singing "God Bless America" and was reminded of what our soldiers sacrifice for us, then and now. I also saw the women in the room who have had a part in improving opportunities for women...and improving their community.

I was blessed to be around such outstanding women today. I commend them for their work, talents, and dedication.

A special thank you to the Women's Club of Charleston for inviting me to be part of a special day...a day that I will remember for a long time.

No comments: