Tuesday, November 29, 2005

What's up with the news lately????

I started a post last night about the latest news reports on how marketing professionals and retailers are "taking Christ out of Christmas". I had a HUGE post that rambled on...and I ranted and raved. So, I deleted the old post and I am starting over.

I am just going to state my opinion and my reason and that is it. I am going to try to keep my emotions out of it.

So, here it goes.

The reports say that many stores are promoting the holiday season, rather than Christmas. Many people say from within and regarding these reports that the retails have taken Christ out of Christmas.

Okay, so there's the report and the comments.

Here's my comment. They are not taking Christ out of Christmas. They are bringing unity to the holiday season. If you are a Christian and you are speaking with another Christian, I feel comfortable saying, "Merry Christmas". If I do not know a person or if I am speaking to the public or group, then I feel that it is appropriate to say, "Happy Holidays". I feel that it is ignorant to assume that even though the Christian community is larger than other faith communities in the US, not everyone is a Christian. Everyone is entitled to celebrate their holiday.

Who better than the retailers and the marketing professionals to bring the unity to the forefront?

I am a Christian and this holiday season, I will be celebrating Christmas. Many of my friends will be celebrating Christmas, many will be participating in other celebrations. So, I say "Happy Holidays" to all of my friends, whatever their faith may be.

So, there's my point. And that it is...the point. I tried to keep my rants and raves out of it. I tried to keep my emotions out of it.

One final thought, many Christians have said that focus on the holiday season rather than Christmas is taking Christ out of Christmas. I say to them....I am a Christian and I celebrate my faith. I just believe that He wants us to show love, compassion, and tolerance to everyone, regardless of faith.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

****Question - as a marketing professional, would you not purchase your holiday items from a store who markets their holiday items as such rather than "Christmas items"??? Just a little survey for my professional life......

5 comments:

Charlie Tee said...

Jen, I think that you should NOT stray from your core beliefs.
Being a Christian is an important thing and an important/ integral part of your life.
It's fine to say Happy Holidays to those not of your faith, but because your faith is your own you should wish people a merry Christmas regardless, primarily because it's your faith.
I had an incident a few years ago with my Son, at the time I was very estranged from my children ( a longer story...),anyway, I ran into mySon at town Center when he proceeds to ask me for money. When I got finished reading him the riot act about only calling when there is a need, among the things that I told him was that he nor his Sister never even as much as bought me a birthday card or Christmas card, at which point he exclaimed "you don't celebrate Christmas," but I told him that you do and that real persons of faith would not be offended by gesture.
My point Jen is that from a marketing standpoint Christ may be taken out of the holidays, but that's more greed than strategy, getting as many dollars of all kinds as often as possible.Whereas if they were to return Christ to HIS rightful place, what all these impatient marketers would find is that people would flock to celebrate the season for the reasons it was intended to begin with.So this Muslim wishes you and your family friends and readers the Merriest of Christmas.
lovingly,Charlie Tee :-)

Jen said...

Charlie,
As always, you always have enlightening things to say. You are a great friend and I greatly appreciate the advice and Christmas wishes. I wish you the best during this joyous season.

Thanks for everything! :)
Jen

Charlie Tee said...

I just think that the whole "political correctness" thing has gotten out of hand to some degree.
I still say that, if it's a persons core belief,then they should feel free to at the very least, wish someone they encounter well.
I also think that we all need to stop trying to explain things away to people.In other worrds, I don't have to have an explanation from someone on THEIR belief.I wouldn't tell a person that KFC is the only brand of chicken, because I know that others exist.It's up to me to find out which suit my own tastes.
I could go on and on about being Muslim, or Jew or whatever, but there is no need.The idea is for everyone to just take a deep breath and let the other person live their life in the way most palatable and comfortable for them.
Remember, faith first and foremost is personal.Your oneness with your Lord, then communal, to be shared with other like minded folks.
Tell Michael I love her, and you too.

Sherry Pasquarello said...

hi, me, i think that much of the,"they're taking Christ out of christmas" hooha was started by people that needed to have something to complain about.
fox t.v. has been in the forefront of this tempest in a teapot and yet on THEIR website one can buy "christmas tree" ornaments that have "o'rielly" on them or "fox news" etc. WHERE is the holiness of the holiday in that???

no one, NO ONE, can take your faith from your heart, no one can prevent you from celebrating any holiday, any holy days or worshipping, believing in any deity you choose or, none at all. that is one of the best freedoms that our forefathers were wise enough to assure us, but it must be guarded and watched over. i care not if a nativity scene is on your property or mine, but i think it a little bit improper for it to be on government property, besides it sort of cheapens the meaning of christmas to have elves and santa and raindeer and snowmen standing around the manger scene much more than saying, "happy holidays" just my opinion. i say merry christmas, i wish my friends that are jews happy holidays and send out cards for their appropriate special days. i know people that are atheists, deists and muslims and buddhist and more. they know my heart and i know theirs. people are too touchy and some people use that and promote that to profit by it. shame on them. i've been to all different churches and temples and i just say the prayers, if i know them right along with my friends. whatever higher power there is, surely knows my intentions and my heart. so smile, enjoy, have a cookie or two for me and know that in this land you can believe and rejoice as you will.

Charlie Tee said...

Everybody, this is a new friend,Sherry Pasquarello from Pittsburgh, we met via her wonderful poetry blog which is found at www.afterthebridge.blogspot.com.
She's a wonderful writer and I hope that you all visit her space and check her out.
My results came today...I have Gout in my elbow, but my Doc felt that if we take care of it early we can get rid of it,so I'm reallly happy about that, and glad that it wasn't worse than I thought.
Anyway, thanks for all the prayers and thoughts.
Sherry, welcome to the group. I love you all.Tee
ps.Jen, I hope that we helped you through this!!!