Thursday, December 08, 2005

Dancing the night away....In a new way! :)

A friend and I went to a FOOTMAD (Friends of Old Time Music and Dance) event last Friday night. A ContraDance!!!!! My friend and I were a little hesitant to go because of the "fear of the unknown". We checked out FOOTMAD's website and the description made the event sound fun...so we put on our jeans and tennis shoes after work and headed downtown for an evening of dancing!!!

We walked in slowly. We acted very shy (ok we felt it...which is shocking, I know...I am never shy)

After talking to a few folks for about five minutes, I saw a friend and her husband! I was so glad to know someone there! She and her husband gave us a little "crash" course for a few minutes before we got started. It was a small group to start, but by 8:30, it was a full house! Probably 40 people (if not more) had come out to join in the fun!!!

Contra is similar to square dancing....a mix of the dancing that you would see in medival times and square dancing...if you can make that comparison! HA (That is my comparison. For more info about ContraDancing, click here.)

There was a live band (three young and VERY TALENTED musicians from Northern WV) and a dance caller. It was definitely an experience that I want to continue.

So, the main thing to keep in mind....I am VERY out of shape...haven't been to the gym in months...haven't worked out at all for months.... By the end of the first dance, I was sweating and very winded. I thought...."Man, I need to get my butt to the gym!!! I'll have to get in shape to even do this!" HAHA

I think that some of the people I danced with felt bad for me, being winded and a beginner, so they went easy on me. However, there were a few that were outstanding dancers and they didn't cut me any slack. One older gentleman (about 60 or so) and I were doing a "swing" (a spin) and I felt like he had put me into a clothes dryer!!!! You definitely have to keep eye contact or you get very dizzy....although with this guy, it didn't help. I'm just glad that I didn't hurl! HAHA

Everyone gave me tips and advice on how to improve my technique, but everyone is there to have fun....and if you mess up, they don't take you out to the parking lot to beat you or anything. It is really all about fun.

So, I must say that I tried something new last Friday and it was a success!!!

Friday night was a living experience. Thankfully, even though I was winded, I was still able to feel the extreme sense of happiness and livliness that was flowing through the room. Every person in that room had a smile on their face. Friday evening was almost a spirital experience. It felt so good down in my soul to be dancing again...and with wonderful people. I was able to dance and work up a sweat without worrying about the people who had too many drinks or people getting the wrong idea. I have found a place to dance....and not in a BAR!!!

Dancing has always been fun for me and it has always uplifted me. A dance held in a church (an Episcopalian church, which made it feel even more comforting) with great people and awesome music. How can you beat that????

ContraDances are taking place all over the country. Click here to find out more about ContraDancing.

No comments: