Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Getting back to my reading...

It amazes me how influence from other people can remind you of things that you are missing out on...things that I once enjoyed. I was an avid reader when I was a child. As I posted in an earlier comment, I am back into reading again. The passion of two friends has rubbed off on me. A few months ago, Charlie, my friend at the library, gave me some suggestions about a few books. Then, when a new coworker and I were discussing literature at lunch one day, I was reminded of all of the "classics" that I had always wanted to read, and never read. She graduated from a prominent liberal arts college with a degree in English and Religion. She is so smart (and such a great writer), she has inspired me to read those books I never read. There are a few that I have read and she has not, so we have decided to start our own "book club" and read books that one of us has read (and fall in love with it all over again) so that the other can fall in love with it for the first time. She suggested to me, Emma, by Jane Austen. I suggested to her Lord of the Flies by William Golding. There are a few that both of us have read, but since it has been so long, we want to get reaquainted with the stories.

She has reminded me how great reading and how powerful and wonderful words can be. We watched a little bit of "Shakespeare in Love" last night. That is definitely a movie that I will have to watch in it's entirety.

So we will have "book club" meetings and also get together to watch a variety of movies. Whether it be a thought-provoking film such as "The Color Purple" or a comedy such as "Old School". There will be evenings of literary discussion and evenings of pure laughter...or complete tears. (We have "Steel Magnolias" and "Philadelphia" on the list as well.)

It is just nice to have friends from all different interests and passions. It definitely adds spice (and knowledge) to my life.

So, thanks to all of my friends who all bring different things to our friendship. Without the wonderful relationships that we have, I wouldn't know what to do. My friends all have passion, knowlege, expertise, and interest in a variety of topics. Thank you for bringing spice to my life!

4 comments:

Allison said...

Aaaaahhh, I just love to read. I read all the time. I have been really using my library card lately. I even get online and reserve books to be sent to me at my branch. I wish I had really gone to the library when I lived in WV. I didn't even have cable (my choice) at the time. I did however read alot of the Bible compared to now. Anyway, that's a whole 'nother blog. I have been reading alot of classics too. And Oprah list type stuff. I have this very long list of books you are "supposed" to read before college- well I am still working off that list! Someday when I find it, I will post it on my blog! LOL

P.s.-You remind me so much of many of my friends from WV, of course in a good way. I really enjoy your blog and some of your "southernisms!" Thanks, your NY friend

Jen said...

Michael,
I wish you could be in our club too. :( You can, but you would just have to do comments over the phone :(

Give it a thought...I know you are busy.

Miss ya! XOXO Jen

Jen said...

Lucky - Thanks for the compliment!

If you come across that "list", definitely post it...I'd love to see it! :)

Thanks for stopping by.

Jen said...

Oh my goodness! I would absolutely love for you to part of the book club, Lib!!!

Give me a call when you can and we can try to work out a schedule that's good for you.

Love ya! Can't wait to chat with you!

Jen