Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Maya Angelou...

I have just started listening to Maya Angelou's "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" on audio book. According to the recommendations of the local librarian, I should still read the book. I can now understand why. I am listening to it and it is giving me a visual of the events, but I am sure if I was reading the book myself, I would get more of a vivid visual.

I have wanted to read this book for a very long time. I have been a fan of Dr. Angelou's poetry for a long time. I also love her Life Mosaic products at Hallmark. I just have never sat down to read "Caged Bird". Many people have told me that it is a life-changing book.

I have only listened to the first cd (1 of 3), but I can already understand why people say that. As I was driving to and from meetings downtown today, there were several moments when I became teary-eyed. There were a few laugh out loud moments as well.

Dr. Angelou can paint a picture of time period and place that I've never been. Still, I feel as if I am a fly on the wall watching all the days of her life unfold.

I just finished her new cookbook, Hallelujah...The Welcome Table, and the short stories that lead up to the recipes were outstanding and vivid. I finally decided that it was time to sit down and read "Caged Bird".

I have read her poetry, her cookbook, and am now listening/reading "Caged Bird". Does anyone recommend any of her other works? I am going to try to read all of it sometime, but I just thought that someone might have a recommendation for the next one that I read.

And for those of you, who haven't read Dr. Angelou's work, I highly recommend it. Her new cookbook might be a good place to start.

1 comment:

Moogie said...

I've not ready any of her stuff. Thanks for the recommendation.