Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Huntington Bank ad....

I just realized that I never posted this...

I heard the Huntington Bank ad last Friday and it got stuck in my head. It is a radio ad, but is very effective. The jingle is fairly short and the premise of the ad is that the announcers can't fit all the words into the jingle. It adds a little humor to the ad, but you catch yourself paying close attention to the words that they are saying because you are trying to keep up with the attempt to squeeze all the words into the jingle. So, not only is the jingle catchy, but the humor and the quickness of the words makes you listen closely to the ad...and you remember it. I still remember that Huntington Banks help their customers and their communities. I still remember a few of the services that they provide. Heck, I might even consider changing my account to Huntington. It was such an informative, inspiring ad. Not to mention, a innovative way of approaching service advertising. Their ad is definitely different from any other ad I've ever heard...especially any banking ad I've heard.

I just hope that Huntington can live up to their promises and their ad. This is because of recent events that have taken place.

That brings me to my pet-peeve of going through the bank drive thru. Ok. I was a teller at a bank during college...I hated it, but I still remember what it takes to do a transaction. Even when I was going through training, I don't think that I took as long as some of the tellers that I have had lately. RULE - You don't put your slowest teller in the drive-thru. You just don't. You absolutely DO NOT put your slowest teller in the COMMERCIAL window of the drive thru. OK, so now that we have discussed that....here is my pet-peeve. I HATE when I run out of deposit slips and I want to make a deposit....I know that is MY fault, however, I make it simple for them. I do not request the teller to send me a slip or even calculate anything for me. I send in my check with my account number on it (which is required at my bank) and write "FOR DEPOSIT ONLY" on the back of the check below my signature and account number. I would have got my right hand chopped off if I EVER cashed a check that was marked "FOR DEPOSIT ONLY" when I was a teller. I currently bank where I used to work, so I know what the rules are. So, why is it that the past several times that I have deposited my paycheck, they have sent me back an envelope with my entire paycheck cashed???? It irritates me so much!! I have sent the money back nicely several times and asked that it be deposited. They ask me for my account number and I reply, "It's on the back of the check." This past time, I replied by saying, "It's on the back of the check, right above the FOR DEPOSIT ONLY statement.", this time with sarcasm.....They apologize every time, but I get more aggrevated each time.

I have been considering changing banks....however, I am a automated payment user...so that means that I have to contact my mortgage company, college loan lender, my husband's HR dept (b/c he gets his check direct deposited), and a million other places where I pay my bill online using my bank account. I am just not up to talking to that many customer service representatives. I hate doing that! :(

So, I guess I am stuck with my current bank for a while until I have the time and patience to switch everything over.

It's not that I think I know everything about banking...heck, when I worked in the banking industry, I despised it. I just don't understand why depositing a check is so difficult. Besides, according the trainings that I went through as a teller, it is my understanding that a bank IS NOT allowed to cash a check that is marked "FOR DEPOSIT ONLY". And we had to review each check to see if the signature matched the payee name on the check...to check if the payee had an account with the bank where I worked and if not, was the account that the check was written an account of ours???? So, I don't understand why it is not still standard procedure.

Ok ok....I'll get off my high horse now and start looking around for a new bank and stop complaining.......I just don't understand why you can't get what you want when going through a drive thru....???? Why is it that the bank gets my transaction wrong, Taco Bell can't make my Fiesta Taco Salad the way that I order it....and Wendy's can never remember that I ordered NO MAYO on my husband's burger....

I guess fast doesn't mean effective/efficient. Oh well.....so what else is new?

1 comment:

kenju said...

I feel your pain at the bank. I recently made a payment to Sam's Club, and the check was written for $75. They credited only $15. When I complained, they said the teller must have read it wrong. I said "How can you read it wrong when it was written out as Seventy-five? They were going by the numerical line, but I know they are supposed to read the line where it is written out. I was so ticked off.