Saturday, February 18, 2006

Cooking and eating are therapeutic for me!

I am feeling much better. I got up off the couch and went to the grocery store this afternoon.

Cooking and eating are therapeutic for me!

My father in law and I were watching Food Network (our favorite Saturday past time) and it was a day dedicated to Italian cooking. So, with that inspiration, I planned on making stuffed shells florentine with homemade marinara, salad, and dessert.

I got to the store and they didn't carry the jumbo shells! ARGHH!!! I hate planning a meal and then not being able to get everything to make it. It was bad enough that they didn't have shells (because that is a common item), but when I decided to make a prosciutto marinara with linguine instead, I went to the deli and they didn't have any prosciutto! So, I decided to make baked penne with an italian sausage and meat sauce. It turned out really well. Not stuffed shells, but good.

Anthony got me chocolate dipped strawberries from Godiva for Valentine's Day. So, I got some strawberries, cherries, and grapes to dip for dessert tonight. I've made them before, but they were especially good tonight. I also dipped some banana slices b/c I had some extra dipping chocolate left over. I will freeze the bananas next time before I dip them...it will make it a little easier! :)

The grapes are my favorite.....tart and sweet in the same bite. YUMMO! (I watch Rachel Ray, can you tell?)

A good dinner and a good evening.

Anthony rented SAW II and we are watching it. I'm trying to watch as little of it as possible b/c I'm a scaredy cat! HAHA

Let's hope it's a great evening.....and I win the Powerball Jackpot! :)

Even if I don't win the powerball, tomorrow morning will be good. The menu for breakfast is homemade scones with a brandied raspberry and cherry preserve. I bought the preserves at the store today. It is actually marketed as a "fruit caviar" and seems to be a very high quality preserve/ice cream topping. (And it could be that I am a sucker for good marketing!) It looks divine and I can't wait to try it with my homemade scones! YUMMMMMMY!

(I just read that last paragraph.....I actually compared eating breakfast to winning the powerball. Man, I've got a problem. I love food more than money....there's something wrong with that or is there????)

5 comments:

Charlie Tee said...

That's so funny...I saw all of those shows today.Vickie and I watched and marveled at all of the foods served up.We love it too.
I still would like to win the Powerball though, but I didn't play...alas, maybe one day!!
Great post Jen.Love ya,Tee

Charlie Tee said...

By the way...what time is breakfst!!HA HA HA,Tee

Jen said...

The scones were really good! I'll make some and bring them to the library soon for you and the crew, Charlie!

I made them with Splenda and they turned out GREAT! :)

Sherry Pasquarello said...

oh my, i wish i didn't have this cold! the food sounds so good, me, i'll have toast, but a scone would be nice too! hiya, sherry

Jen said...

Sherry,
If it makes you feel better, I've been battling a cold, too. It's no fun!

Hope you get well soon!

Jen