Sunday, February 05, 2006

I love the Super Bowl! And the commercials!

Okay, call me crazy, but I have always looked forward to the commercials on Super Bowl Sunday. I haven't always been a football fan, but I have always been a fan of a good commercial. I guess I was 'destined' for my career.....

I have always appreciated advertising and the "power of suggestion".

So, here are my favorite commercials so far (considering it is only the third quarter).

  • Dove - True Beauty: Okay, so I got teary-eyed. I can't help it. What girl hasn't felt like that? I have been a huge supporter of Dove's Beauty campaign from the beginning. Now, they are bringing our youth into it, which is awesome. This commerical had all of the elements....tugging on the heart strings, relating to personal experience of viewers (people relate to the young girls in the ad - at least I did), a great product to advertise, and a catchy tune to remember the ad. I have always loved Cindy Lauper, especially that song. It is definitely an ad that I will remember. (And as a consumer, I will remember it when I go to the store. I am already a Dove consumer, but I will look at their other products to help support their campaign.)

Here are a few cute ones that I enjoyed:

  • FedEx "Cave Man"
  • AmeriQuest Mortgage "Medical Misunderstandings" and "Turbulence" (both were great!)
  • Careerbuilder.com "Chimps"
  • Michelob Ultra Amber "Touch Football" I loved the end --- "That was a 'late hit'." HAHA
  • NFL Network "Connected by the Game" (My favorite part was the little girl who had on the shirt that said 'Anyone but the Cowboys'. I LOVED THAT!)
  • Sprint "Theft Deterrent" This had a surprise element. Very funny! ("The Music Downloads" commercial for Sprint was cute, too.)
  • Hummer H3 "Little Monster" (not extremely funny, but it was cute and unique)
  • DisneyWorld "I'm Going to Disney World" (It's amazing how many people relate Disney World to the Super Bowl. Everyone knows that the saying is, "You've just won the Super Bowl, now what? 'I'm going to Disney World!')

Since this is just the third quarter, I'm sure that there will be more. I wanted to post my favorites though before I got too nervous about the game to post. HAHA

I really want Pittsburgh to win and they are only up by 4. Anthony and I have bet against each other. I brought up the idea in a way to bribe him to take me out to dinner sometime soon. (We haven't been on a date in a long time!) Then, it turned into me wanting to go to New York. So, if I win, we go to NYC (which I doubt will happen anyway), and if he wins, he picks this year's vacation spot. I don't even know how it got changed to this, but I think I had a better shot at getting dinner with my husband than a weekend in the Big Apple. (Especially since he knows that if I got to NY, I want to go to see a play on Broadway. Shyeah, like that will happen!) But, we'll see!

The line before the game started was Pittsburgh -4. (Seahawks are getting 4 points.)

I want Pittsburgh to win so bad (even before we placed the bet) and Anthony has been cheering for the Seahawks for some unknown reason ???!!!!!! So, the Steelers has to win by more than 4 in order for me to win the bet. Steelers are up by 4 now and if things don't change, neither one of us win. I'd still be happy, though.

We'll see.

I'm going to go back to the game......

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!

So - here's what I want to know.....Who did you cheer for during the BIG GAME? And what were your favorite commercials??????

7 comments:

Charlie Tee said...

I always cheer for the Yankees of course, everyone else is just sports (ha ha ha ha).
Congrats...enjoy your dinner.
Be sure to congratulate Sherry, it's her hometown.
love ya,Tee

Buffy said...

I didnt watch the superbowl this year. too afraid Jessica Simpson would pop up.

Sherry Pasquarello said...

hi, i love the dove comercials, it's about time a backlash against the anorexically airbrushed perfection image was taken on.

i liked the budwieser commercial with the baby horse thinking he was pulling the wagon and the "grownup" horses pushing it from behind.

and i loved that the steelers won. i paced the whole game! i'm not a football fan but i wanted them to win, mostly for this town, we could use some good news and for jerome bettis and his mom!

Jen said...

Great posts, guys! Thanks!

I thought that the Steelers were the underdog???? They weren't expected to win. But, they played a good game...it's a shame that they are saying that they wouldn't have won if it wasn't for the "help from their friends in stripes".

Jen said...

I don't think you were referring to me, but just in case...I'm not crying..I'm a happy camper. I wanted the Steelers to win. (Man, do I love me some Heinz and Ben!)

I know that they were the game favorite, but before that, all we heard was that how they overcame so much during the season and how they were the first 6th seed team to make it to the Super Bowl. Then, during the halftime commentary, they were talking about horrible they were playing.

I knew when I was watching the game that they were going to make a big deal about the 'bad calls'. Anthony didn't think that it would be a big deal b/c things like that happen all season. But, the first interview I saw of Ben on ESPN, they asked him how he felt about winning due to bad calls......etc. I just felt bad for him. But, as a communications professional, it was nice to see him stick to message and to also stick up for his team.

With a husband who watches ESPN 24-7, it's hard to get away from sports broadcasts. (dooo dooo dooo ddoodooooo dooo ----okay so it's hard to type out the Sportcenter theme!) HAHA

stacey abshire said...

I thought the game was a bust... Not much fun to watch. Commericials were ok, but super great. I did enjoy the Ameriquest ones, though.

Charlie Tee said...

Hey, if you're going to my hometown, I can recommend a cheap place to stay. It's in midtown (on 57th street), pretty much near everything that you want to do and or see.Congrats on your win.Tee