Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The Governor's Address....

First of all, I would like to say that I think that our Governor is a great communicator, eloquent speaker, and truly involved and dedicated to improving West Virginia. My father in law and I watched the State of the State Address tonight (Anthony was at school). We were amazed at his great news that he had to share.

First, he started out about the miners....read the names of all 12 miners. It was a very somber beginning. After talking about the Miners' Fund, he recognized Rev. Dennis Sparks, the Executive Director of the WV Council of Churches. Dennis is an amazing man and has worked very close with our programs at Mission West Virginia (where I work). The WVCC does great work!

Then, with the sad news provided, he moves on to some good news for West Virginians!

Some great health care news! Programs for $99/month for comprehensive health care and nearly a $1/day for preventative care programs. These programs will be provided WITHOUT government subsidies. Not sure how we are doing this....According to Gov. Manchin, it is through partnerships between the state and the healthcare providers..... I think this is great!

A great outlook for labor....They are creating a partnership/collaboration between DOW Industrial Park, several colleges, and a few other partners. My father in law told me that this center will resemble the Triangle Research Park in NC. Unfortunately, there is a downside to this initiative....there are changes being made to my alma mater, West Virginia University Instititute of Technology. They are moving the Engineering programs (which is the heart and "bank" of WVU Tech) to South Charleston. This will kill Montgomery and WVU Tech. I'm unsure of how this will affect the school in the short term or the long term, but I know it won't be good.... :( This is the only disappointment that I heard throughout the speech.

AEP has petitioned to build the IGCC plant in WV (convert coal into clean fuel). This will bring jobs and stretch our fossil fuel resources.

He also mentioned harsher penalties for sexual offenders and a few other important topics.

At the end of his speech, they revealed a new sign with the current tagline, "West Virginia - Open for Business" with a beautiful background. (Not the best design work I've ever seen, but good.)

There have been great strides in the improvement of WV over the past year. Workers' Compensation reform, insurance reform, education reform, and further improvements being made as we speak. The Governor and the First Lady are very dedicated to the people of WV. I have had the pleasure of meeting both of them several times. Gov. Manchin is a wonderful man, but there is something about Ms. Manchin. She is a delight....intelligent, articulate, beautiful, classy, and amazing. She has a way to brighten up the room (and the woman dresses to a "T")!

So, overall, I am excited about the work that the Governor and his administration has been doing....I just wonder what will become of WVU Tech. We'll just have to wait and see.

3 comments:

Jen said...

She is the "Queen of our Hearts"!

One addition I want to add, from what I understand, the college will still gain the funds acquired from the tuition and fees. The campus for engineering will just be in So. Charleston. It will have a considerable negative impact on Mongomery, but might be the saving grace for WVU Tech.

Jen said...

Go GOLDEN BEARS! (Even if their athletics aren't that great. HAHA)

Golden Bear Football was featured on ESPN one time....for the college football program with the most losses...

The academics at WVUTECH are top notch!!!!

James said...

This has nothing to do with the gov, but i think you and i went to school together. I went to VHS and also Tech. I am currently working at Tech also. (they used to call me jimbo).
Get in touch with me sometime.

Thanks