Friday, January 27, 2006

I can handle making choices for myself...

Okay, first of all, I want to say that I am so glad that Marquee Cinemas in Charleston knows that the residents of the valley are capable of making a decision for themselves. Instead of the cinemas deciding not to offer "Brokeback Mountain", they have decided to let the customers decide. If you want to see it, you can, but if you don't, then you don't have to. Just like any other movie.

On the news last night, a manager from the theater stated that he had received complaint calls from customers. He said that some of them even threatened that they would never watch another movie in the theater again. He said that he had received calls of people who thanked him for allowing the movie to be shown. He said that it was a decision of the customer to make, not him. I totally agree. I personally want to see the movie, but I respect the choice of others who don't want to.

But I just don't understand why this movie is a problem. I never hear on the news about people calling the theater complaining when they show a horror movie, a movie with heavy sexual content, or extreme violence. That is because all of that is becoming accepted and you don't hear about people complaining about that as much. However a story of family, love, work, and friendship is a problem. Homophobia is becoming a huge problem. It scares me that so many people have such hatred and disrespect for a community the way that people do towards the homosexual community.

President Bush got caught off guard earlier this week. A person in the crowd told him that he knew that he was a rancher and thought he'd enjoy the movie and asked him if he'd seen it. His reply..... What do you think he said? (Besides being caught off guard of course.....) Check it out by clicking here.

Something on the other end of the spectrum, which I thought was weird and incorrect was the comment that Heath Ledger made about West Virginia. It was inaccurate and just WRONG!
According to MSN.com, Ledger also took a swipe at West Virginia, and displayed a dubious grasp of American history. “I heard a while ago that West Virginia was going to ban it but that’s a state that was lynching people only 25 years ago so that’s to be expected,” he was quoted as saying. (Click here for complete article)

I haven't seen the movie yet. I intend to see it this weekend. But, without seeing it, I know that it has taught me something. There are still stereotypes, hatred, and intolerance in this world. Whether it is regarding sexual preference, race, ethnicity, geographic location, heritage, and any other "category" that you can think of. In my opinion, it's being condoned in our society and by our government. I'll try not to dwell on it, but act on it. I will not stand for this hatred. I will do little things every day to educate myself and others. That's all I can do.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Good job, Jen. I couldn't have said it better myself.