Friday, January 27, 2006

I'm a Christian.....and.....

I saw a bumper sticker yesterday. One that I had seen before...many times.

"CHRISTIAN DEMOCRAT"

Why do people see this as an oxymoron?

Why do people assume that a Christian is a right wing fanatic?

Why do people assume that right wing fanatics are religious?

A few months ago, I saw an inspiring quote that was posted in the comments on a friend's blog. "I'm a Christian, but I don't use it as a weapon."

I don't know who originated that quote, but it is definitely an insightful one.

So, I will say: I'm a Christian Democrat. I'm a liberal. I am a Christian but I do not use it as a weapon.

I'm not ashamed of any of those comments. I am ashamed of some of the activities of "fellow Christians". I'm ashamed of the "church" in Kansas that pickets funeral services and other services and blames tragedies and disasters on "punishments from God". I'm ashamed of Jerry Fallwell and Pat Robertson or any other "Christian" that uses their faith for acts of hate. (And the fact that they have the 'spotlight' or means of spreading that hate like wildfire makes it worse!) I'm ashamed of groups all across the country and the world who perform acts of violence, hatred, intolerance, and disrespect in the name of God, or a higher being.

So, I ask of you.....be proud of your faith, but do not use it as a weapon.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I think you saw that comment on my blog. I think Melonie said it. I don't know why a Christian Democrat is considered an oxymoron either.

Jen said...

Thanks, Heather. I thought it was on yours, but I couldn't remember who said it.

Thanks to Melonie for the wonderful quote!

:)

Allison said...

I really liked your post and totally agree with so many things. I feel that there are many different degrees of how people interpret their faith, and some people just take it to the extreme. It is hard to say this, but sometimes the more laid back you are, the more people respect you for your opinions and your true faith shines through in your actions and your words. You can find a happy medium somewhere.

I feel that way about the Catholic church sometimes. I may be Catholic, and a forward thinking one at that. It makes me mad to group all of them together- the "Catholic vote" for example. Sometimes this makes people assume stuff they shouldn't about your own personal beliefs.